Sage Tweed JPEG Lighting Diagram - click image for larger view
All light values are measured with a light meter that has been calibrated to match the exposure value of the camera(s). The camera and meter ISO is set to 100. The camera’s f-stop will be f8 and the shutter speed will be 125th of a second. All light measurements will be based on this, ISO 100 and the camera will be set to f8 @ 125th of a second. Follow the lighting diagram for the position of the lights.
MAIN LIGHT = 45” UMBRELLA
- Approximately 60 inches high
- 11’6” from background
- Measure this light with the fill light on. Point the dome of the light meter at the camera. The combined value of both the main light and the fill light firing at the same time is f8. This is the f-stop to set your camera to.
FILL LIGHT = 45” UMBRELLA
- Approximately 66 inches high
- 13 feet from background
- Measure this light with a light meter by itself at f4.5. Point the dome of the light meter at the camera.
HAIR/SEPARATION LIGHT = STRIP LIGHT
- Approximately 52 inches high
- 4’ from the background and 4' out from center
- These lights are positioned to wash the background with an even illumination of light. Set the power output of the two lights to be the same. With all the lights firing, including the main and fill, position the light meter at the subject’s position with the dome pointed at the background. The combined value of all the lights firing should be equal to the f-stop being used that was determined by the combined value of the main and fill lights. In this case, the camera f-stop is set to f8 so this light measurement should be f8. This is to ensure a good, clean white for the background material being used without compromising the subject exposure.
Back to Top
In your testing be sure to keep the background as evenly lit as possible! If you see any shadows adjust your main & hair/separation lights to eliminate all shadows.
download lighting instructions